Landlord and Tenant Problems

Landlord and tenant regulations vary considerably across Canada. Different government departments or ministries in each province and territory administer the legislation.

Check the government listings in your telephone book or search on your provincial or territorial government website. If there is no specific reference to landlord and tenant services, call the office responsible for consumer affairs.

You can also find important information on landlord and tenant issues such as your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and what to ask before signing a rental agreement.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has an extensive section on its website on renting, including landlord and tenant information by province and territory, available at

For some basic information about the rights and responsibilities of a landlord and tenant check out Be Informed About Landlords and Tenants at

Did you find this site useful?
Icon:Send feedback Send feedback
Important Notices